There are only two main reasons why we get cancer.
1. Toxicity from our food and the environment. When have been exposed to too many toxins, this creates an unhealthily acidic environment in the body that weakens the immune system and causes our organs to stop working up to their full potential. Acidity creates a breeding ground for cancer.
2. Stress. Stress can be mental, emotional, or physical. When we are put under pressure for a short period, we can recover from it reasonably quickly. But when the pressure is unrelenting, our resources eventually become depleted and we are less resilient to the effects of stress.
Toxic exposure is a form of physical stress. Lack of sleep is another. Overworking for an extended period is yet another. These things make the body vulnerable to illness.
Mental stress includes negative thoughts, those that circulate in your own head as a result of your belief system or those that come from ongoing exposure to criticism. Sadness and anxiety make us more vulnerable to illness.
Emotional stress includes wounds from traumas in your past that haven’t healed yet, which could trigger you now. If you had a car crash, lost your job, are mourning the loss of a loved one, or are in the middle of a divorce or breakup, this could be an emotional stress factor too.
The impact of chronic stress can be reduced by eating nutritious foods, implementing new thought processes, praying, getting adequate sleep, and spending time with people you care about talking and having fun.
Knowing that toxicity and stress make us more susceptible to cancer, you can see the importance of making changes in your life to cancel them out. In this book, you will learn how to do so using the incredible power of nutrition.
My aim is to empower you with knowledge of ingredients and recipes.
To increase your chances of overcoming cancer at any stage, here are the ten principles for your body, mind, and spirit that have proven to be most effective. Basically, if you embrace these key strategies for establishing a healthful lifestyle, you will have a way higher chance of healing cancer—simply banishing it from your life so that it never comes back again.
Many people with cancer opt to have surgery and chemotherapy or radiation, conventional treatments that address the physical aspect of overcoming cancer, without similarly treating the other parts of themselves—their minds, emotions, and souls. Those who choose to opt out of chemo or radiation may be substituting an alternative therapy in its place to address the symptoms of cancer. Meeting our nutritional needs and avoiding toxicity is just as important.
Furthermore, my perspective is that we are not fully healed unless all of us is healed, inside and out. Disease is created energetically before it manifests in the body, so we need to address mind and spirit along with body. The goal is to ensure that cancer doesn’t come back once it has been physically eradicated.
Instead of letting an episode of cancer destroy you, you can allow it to serve as positive motivation to change. Think of cancer (or simply confronting the prospect of cancer) as an opportunity to clean up your diet and lifestyle and form a closer relationship with God, which is the ultimate power we could ever need in our lives!
Let’s begin with a look at the seven key physical principles.
Principles for Healing Your Body
1. Nourishment with fresh, organic, real nutrients. Nourish your body with nutrient-rich, noncarcinogenic foods and beverages. Follow the Cancer Diet model and recipes in this book. Changing your diet WILL change your life.
From growing up in Australia with an indigenous, nature-wise culture around me, I learned that freshly picked food is the most healthful. When we can go out to our backyard and pick a fruit, vegetable, leaf, or herb straight from the bush, tree, or vine it grows on, as it comes to the table it’s still alive with the vital energy we need to thrive and extremely nutrient-rich.
Most of us don’t have gardens of our own anymore—over 50 percent of the world population now live in cities. The next best way to eat fresh produce after picking it ourselves is to go to our local farms or farmers’ markets for as seasonal and as local foods as possible. When food is shipped to a supermarket, whether it travels around the world or across the nation, it loses some of its nutritional value and energy. Do a test for yourself, if you can and see what you can feel. Compare the taste of a local, freshly picked apple with that of a transported apple picked a few weeks ago. It’s fascinating to observe the difference in taste and energy between a local vegetable and a vegetable shipped in from another state.
Its also important to buy organic produce. Farmers grow a lot of foods these days with pesticides, so loads of chemicals are being absorbed by fruits and vegetables through their roots as well as through their leaves and peels when they are being sprayed. These chemicals deplete them of their nutrients and makes them toxic. Wash your produce thoroughly in clean water to get rid of any possible chemical residue on it!
The truth is that most of us aren’t able to purchase foods with perfectly intact nutrients; plus, a lot of us have digestive systems that are not absorbing all the nutrition they could be. This certainly was the case for me in my teens and early twenties. After years of eating processed foods and taking laxatives instead of eating fiber, I had compacted waste stuck to the walls of my gut that was inhibiting me from absorbing nutrients from the fruits and vegetables I ate.
When I committed myself to healing, I researched ways to put high amounts of nutrition in my body as quickly as possible. I knew that to boost my immune system—to support it so that it could play its role in healing my body—I would have to essentially feast on nutrients. Having deprived my body of proper nutrition for many years, I felt malnourished. Well-fed but starved. My body didn’t have the nutrient resources it needed to function properly and keep me well.
Hidden malnourishment is one of the reasons people overeat. Nutrient deficiency is an epidemic right now. Because of hunger that is not being assuaged, people respond by eating more processed foods. They fill up on calories and crave sugar and fat. Their hunger and dietary choices are in a vicious cycle that can only be interrupted by consumption of nutrient-dense food.
By eating as locally and seasonally as possible, I was able to ensure that my food had a high nutritional value. But I wanted to do more to promote healing. From research, I learned that an extremely fast way to get the vitamins and phytochemicals we need is to drink fresh juices. For me, the alternative would have been to have a qualified health-care practitioner give me an antioxidant-rich vitamin drip from an IV, but I don’t like needles and the cost was prohibitive. Intuitively, I knew that through daily juicing my cells would be nourished and detoxified.
Every time I had a juice, I imagined it as liquid medicine going into my blood stream and pumping energy straight into my cells. I visualized cancer cells and my cravings for junk food being forced out of my body. I knew that the nutrients I was taking in were helping me create new cells and build a new body.
2. Incorporate the top 15 cancer-healing foods into your daily diet. These ingredients are filled with many antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that inhibit tumor growth and help make the body inhospitable to cancer. See Chapter 2, for more details about:
· Broccoli sprouts
· Dark leafy greens (bok choy, cilantro, kale, parsley, spinach, and watercress)
· Flaxseed (aka linseed)
You may also wish to take dietary supplements of certain healing nutrients (see Chapter 3 in Cancer-Free with Food).
3. Hydrate with plenty of purified water. Clean drinking water is so important! Tap water is filled with toxic pollutants, including chlorine and even pharmaceutical drugs. Your body needs to stay well hydrated to function at its best.
4. Detox. Help your body to cleanse itself of excess toxicity, which suppresses the immune system. Detoxing methods, which might include hot baths, saunas, dry brushing the skin, colonics, or taking nutritional supplements to support your liver and other organs of elimination, will allow your immune system to do its job better. (See Chapter 7 in Cancer-Free with Food.)
5. Reduce toxic exposure to carcinogens. Carcinogens are substances capable of causing cancer to grow in living tissue. This includes chemicals in processed foods, like preservatives, additives, and artificial flavorings. When you follow the Cancer-Free with Food model, sticking to an organic, whole-food, plant-rich diet, you won’t be consuming any of these. You could also be exposed to carcinogens in your environment, including from your workplace, your household, or pollution in the air. Medication treatments that suppress the immune system are carcinogenic. Because carcinogens affect our DNA they should be avoided as much as possible! (See Chapter 4 in Cancer-Free with Food.)
6. Reduce your exposure to electromagnetic chaos. Chaotic electromagnetic fields (EMFs) radiate energy that stresses your cells, weakens the immune system, and interferes with the proper function of the brain and nervous system. To avoid them you need to spend less time on your cellphone, being immersed in WI-FI signals, sitting near a TV, at the computer, and under florescent lights. (See Chapter 4 in Cancer-Free with Food.)
7. Spend as much time in nature as possible. Green nature and fresh air will help to balance the effects of pollution you are exposed to. Walk barefoot to ground yourself and be sure look at look at trees and bushes (greens instead of screens).
8. Sleep, rest, and relax. Adequate sleep is crucial for healing. Make sure to get at least eight to ten hours a night if you are healing cancer. And if you are stressed out a majority of the time, how do you expect the body to cope with that? It puts a high a demand on your energy. Rest and relaxation needs to be scheduled in your calendar, so you have some time allocated for it every day. When healing cancer, do not skip it.
Principles for Healing Your Mind
9. Upgrade your thoughts. Positive thoughts will support your healing process and keep your immune system strong. Negative thoughts will weaken your immune system. (See Chapter 10 in Cancer-Free with Food.)
Principles for Healing Your Spirit
10. Pray. Incorporating prayer into your life will improve your spiritual relationship with yourself and with your higher power. As emotional wounds and soul wounds heal, you will experience more ease and grace. God and self-love are powerful. (See Chapter 10 in Cancer-Free with Food.)
Principles for Cancer Prevention
The same principles apply to cancer prevention as to cancer healing. If you take care of your diet by incorporating more anti-cancer foods and avoiding carcinogens and toxins, you are taking care of your body in the best way possible. You are supporting your immune system.
Monitor your thoughts, too, to ensure you are thinking life-supporting, positive thoughts. This will help you be strong emotionally and support you in building a healthful lifestyle.
And do not forget your spiritual side. Your friendships, your family, and your faith can sustain you and help you remain healthy too.
As I share what natural remedies and foods worked for me in healing my tumor and avoiding cancer for the last decade, keep in mind that there are literally hundreds of different ingredients that would be appropriate for healing cancer, if not thousands. You have tons of options when it comes to healing food—and healthy, delicious food. My intention in my book is to provide you with sufficient knowledge to pick which ingredients will work best for you and your preferences. For example, tomatoes might be better than mushrooms, or cacao would accelerate your healing. Pretend you are opening a cancer-healing catalog as you’re picking the recipes you want to eat.
With the information in Cancer Free with Food, you will easily be able to discern what’s best to eat. The guidelines of this approach are super simple, and the recipes are easy to prepare.
I also encourage you to go within and trust your intuition, just as I did when I was healing my lump. And pray for guidance—you can probably never pray enough! Your soul will tell you if a particular healing tool or food is right for you. You might also get goosebumps while reading a description of a certain food or when you’re standing in the produce aisle holding it. Trust a sense that this is the right food for you. Our bodies are intelligent in ways our conscious minds cannot appreciate. We evolved in nature and nature evolved to provide for us. We just have to open up to its wisdom.
Trusting her intuition is what my mum did when I presented her with all the options available to her. She always picked the ingredients that resonated with her, and it worked. She made it through breast cancer treatment a few years ago and is now living cancer free. My mum had surgery and then opted out of chemotherapy and radiation. She had confidence that she would beat cancer if she quit smoking and changed her diet. And she did.
“No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, you can always turn back.”
What to Expect When You Follow Cancer-Free with Food
Most people who improve their nutritional habits by flooding their bodies with nutrients begin to feel better almost immediately. You can expect the same. These nutrients will come mainly from plant foods like vegetables, fruits, leaves, roots, nuts, and seeds, with the addition of lean protein sourced exclusively from beans, if they’re vegetarian; or from beans, eggs, fish, poultry, and modest amounts of red meat, if they’re meat eaters.
Similarly, when people stop eating the wrong foods—those that are toxic to their bodies, like sugar (you’ll notice I repeat this a lot)—most feel better almost immediately. If they reduce their levels of stress, spend time with friends and family, increase the hours they sleep, avoid exposure to pollution, and nourish themselves emotionally and spiritually, healing is promoted.
That said, healing is always a process. It can take time for the body to overcome cancer—weeks, months, possibly years. But please feel encouraged. Healing is possible!
When coaching people with cancer on their health and nutrition, what I’ve typically seen in the first couple of days is a rush of excitement that energizes them. They have a newfound peace of mind because they’ve taken charge of their destiny and know they’re doing the right things. A few days into a nutritional correction with increased vegetables and reduced chemicals some people begin to experience what are popularly known as detox symptoms. This is the result of the liver and other organs of elimination becoming a bit overloaded. But this passes quickly.
If you were having a short-term overload, around day three of your transition, you might feel sluggish or fatigued, and perhaps a little achy, like you had a mild flu. The signal that this is related to an overload of the liver is that your mind feels a bit foggy or clouded, as if you are intoxicated or haven’t slept well for a couple of nights. This kind of fogginess dissipates as soon as the body catches up with its workload. By the end of a week, it should pass.
Sleep when you’re tired. When I was healing my tumor, I routinely slept between twelve and sixteen hours a night. It’s a healthy thing to do. Your body is using this energy for the purpose of healing your organs and tissues on a deep cellular level. As you become more rested, the toxicity subsides, and your health improves, you’ll notice your energy and stamina rise. Most people are overworked and overtired these days. And this is a factor that leads to illness.
Also, drink copious amounts of water, but at staggered intervals—like a cup an hour—being sure it is filtered water so as to reduce your exposure to chlorine and other potential contaminants from tap water. It’s easy to become dehydrated. Good hydration will contribute to the body’s natural process of eliminating toxins. You need not—and should not—drink a liter or more at once. The idea is to be well hydrated on a continuous basis, not to drown yourself.
When you eat more veggies and fruits and nuts and seeds, you’ll be getting quite a bit of fiber along with the phytonutrients. If you’re unused to fiber, be on notice that this will bulk up your stools. It’s not a bad idea to take a digestive enzyme with your meals (see Resources in my book) to assist your body with its adaptation to this new way of eating. In time, it will seem normal.
You can expect your mind to clear and your thoughts and mood to become more positive moving forward. I encourage you to embrace the initial discomforts and celebrate your progress.
If you have cancer, my suggestion for your path through the book is to read Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, “The Top 15 Cancer-Healing Foods, in Cancer-Free with Food” so you can see which foods literally kill cancer cells and get some in your pantry right away. Unless your health-care provider has specifically advised you not to eat these foods because they are contraindicated for your treatment, you will want to start feeding them to your body immediately.
Next, read Chapter 3, “The Most Toxic Foods on the Planet,” so you know what to cut out of your life. These foods don’t deserve a place on your table! You might follow that by reading Chapter 6, “Nutrition-Focused and Alternative Cancer Treatments,” so you can see all the options you have. After reading that, let everything settle in for a few days before making any new decisions.
Regardless of what course of treatment you choose, you will be doing right by your body by eating the healthiest cancer-killing foods on the planet. Place an order online and order all the dry ingredients and supplements you want today, and then make a trip to your local farmers markets or health food supermarket and stock up on all the fresh items you need—especially broccoli sprouts and turmeric!
Read Chapter 8 if you’re currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, and would like some nutritional suggestions to help with nausea, fatigue, insomnia, digestive issues, skin abrasions, and more. It also has advice on prepping for surgery and accelerating post-surgical healing.
If you are a caretaker for someone who has cancer, I believe this book has everything you need to help them make excellent nutritional choices and manage their side effects.
If you want to prevent cancer or avoid remission, this book has all the information you need to reduce your cancer risk for the rest of your life! Live by this model of eating from now on and you are unlikely ever to be touched by cancer. And spread the word to your family and friends so that everyone can decrease their risk of ever getting cancer.
by liana werner-gray
Hi. I am a Health researcher bringing you honest information about cancer healing treatments and foods that kill (and cause) cancer! I love diving into the scientific studies that show this research.